Carl's mom came to our neck of the woods earlier this month. Oh, I mean, last month. She was able to be here for Tyrza's baptism. She also did some Christmas celebrating with us. This year we got a wonderful book called "The Quiltmaker's Gift." Our ornament was a handcrafted little square quilt with a heart and our first initial on it. I really enjoyed this book. I even more enjoyed the ornament. It's something that I will be able to look back on and tell Brady "Your grandma made that special for you."
.JPG)
Carl has collected quite a few ornaments over the years as this has been a tradition in his family. Some of them are fancy and store bought; some of them are clever; others are handcrafted and unique; some are memories of a little boy who made the ornament himself, like an old fashioned clothes pin painted blue (or red?) with wire around the top for a hook. I've also made a contribution from my childhood. Well, I think my mom made them. I have little pillows with teddy bears printed on the fabric to put on the tree.
I don't think our Christmas tree will ever be co-ordinated or themed. I like the hodge-podge look of various ornaments. It's a tree full of memories, a tree of love. It will never look the same year after year. The ornaments get put in new spots and new ones are added each year. I hope my kids learn to enjoy this type of tree. If not, I will probably indulge their fancies to an extent until the tree is under parental control again.
I had a picture in mind when I started this post:
Brady and Grandma took some time to stop and smell the flowers.
While we were at the library Santa stopped by for a visit.


No comments:
Post a Comment