"The Prophet said to plant a garden, so that's what we'll do!" It's a little late in the year, but we did it!
Last weekend we planted our garden. At first we were only going to do an 8'x10' section, but plans soon changed. In the early hours of the morning we got out there with our hoe, rake and hand tiller. Boy was that dirt hard!!! After two hours of trying to work up the soil (or should I say rock hard clay,) we surrenderd and set to rent a tiller. Ah, much better that was! The garden is now something like 14'x16', which Carl likes because that's less lawn for him to mow. I think he would have tilled up half the back yard if I let him. We planted a big tomato plant, a cherry tomato plant, cucumbers, bell peppers (which aren't doing so hot), straight neck squash, winter squash, green onions, green beans and yellow onions. I'll be nice to be able to go get my produce from the back yard again. Hopefully money saving too, since last night we bought $7.00 worth of vegetables that are in the garden. Carl is amazed that the seeds have begun to sprout so quickly. Next year, we are gonna do corn as well. Carl would like to a long row along the fence, yes, you guessed it, so he doesn't have to mow as much. Silly Carl, mowing is good for you! He's just lucky I haven't gone and gotten a push, non-gas mower for him to use. Think if the money that would save!!


No comments:
Post a Comment