I feel like I'm on the verge of failing in the area of discipline with Brady. Okay, so it's really only the start of the many years of discipline, but I think I'm not doing such a good job already. He has this natural curiosity for blinking lights and pushing buttons. Can you tell me, what has blinking lights and buttons to push? Okay, I'll tell you. The computer and its accompanying power strip.
It never fails. He sees the flashing light on the CPU and drags himself over to it. He has discovered the flaps (ours has flaps) for the CD-Rom drives and the buttons that go with it. He's been playing with the flap that covers the USB ports for a while now. I let him do it. What harm can he do? He's got it into his head that this is an okay place to play. I don't want him breaking the CD-Rom drives, or turning the computer off so I tell him "no" or "stop" (and sign) and move him. He looks up at me and grins. After moving him away from the tempting toy, he quickly scoots back to resume play. I say "Brady..." in my most stern and mothering voice. What does the little bumpkin do?? Looks up at me and smiles, acts like he's getting away from it only to resume play with even more vigor.
Today he spotted the powerstrip. Before I could realize what he was doing *Blink* off goes the computer. DAH!!!! Good thing I wasn't in the middle of something important. So what option do I have? I tell him "no, that was not a good thing to do" and remove him from the area. Again, play resumes.
Carl said he's put together that when he plays with the CPU, he gets attention from me. That is not what I wanted for my children!! I feel I spend LOTS of time with him! Heaven forbid I leave him to play while I clean, cook or check e-mail!
So, my son has figured out how to get attention from me. It's negative attention though. I didn't want him to do that. Now I don't know what to do. Do I let him play with the forbidden after telling him "no"? Do I put him in time out (which I don't think you can do that at 8 months)? Or do I just keep pulling him away and giving him the attention (all be it, negative) he's looking for? I really don't want to mess up my kids. I'm all for doing the hard stuff now so that down the road things will be easier. You know, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Please, fill me up with your all-so-experienced parenting advise....please?
-


3 comments:
Well i don't really know what to advise you to do other than I wouldn't let him just play with it. Then he'll always think its okay to do that. And i probably wouldn't do time out, because really at 8 mos. he won't get it and then you'll exhuast yourself trying to make him do a time out. Is there some way you can hide the computer from him? Can you shut the door or cover the fun flaps up? That might help. out of sight out of mind.
Anna found the power strip too. I swat her hand and say a firm "no" when she plays with it. To me, it's an electrocution issue along with an annoyance. Our power strip is under the desk. We have to make sure to keep the desk chair pushed in to keep her away from it. Hope this helps...
Hey Steph! I haven't talked to you in so long but I've been following your blog for a while thanks to Brenda!! How are you? Anyway, I just wanted to pass on a little bit of advice, now that I'm going through it with my third one. LOL. Distraction. It is your BEST FRIEND for the first 3 years of life. Brady has no clue that something is right or wrong, and he also has no clue that you are trying to discipline him. Timeouts won't work for an 8 month old. LOL. So the best thing to do is baby proof more if you can so there is no temptation, and then distract him. Give him something else to play with. I have a cabinet in my kitchen that has plastic bowls and wood spoons, etc that I leave just for the kids to ransack. Cameron (who is the same age as Brady) is just now finding it, and if he is getting into something that he's not supposed to, I give him something else to be distracted with. It works wonders. One thing I've learned is that babies don't like baby toys. They like real things.. like pots, pans, spoons, keys, oh and Cameron's current favorite, my home phone. :) Your best bet, instead of being stern with him would be to pick him up and start playing with him and nibbling at his fingers or something so he "forgets" about the computer/power strip and then give him something else to be distracted with. Hope this helps.
You have an adorable baby!! I can't believe you live in AR. We lived there for 3 years, and now we are in Germany. In fact, my twins were born at Baptist North in NLR and then they spent 5 weeks at Big Baptist NICU. Anyway, gotta run.. it's midnight here. But I hope that Brady "forgets" the power strip quickly.
Dani
P.S. Oh, and forewarning.. 4 year olds like power strips too... my son FRIED my entire computer system last year.
Post a Comment