I spent some time this afternoon with a family that needs some help. They are being assisted by the government because of "disabilities". While we were out they asked to go to a video store and return some items. They told me they are on a program where they can get upto 3 items out at a time. The brochure they showed me said that package was $25 a month! While we were there, they spotted a gaming system that is $170, a good deal. But I'm thinking, "Hey! I wish I could just drop $170 on a gaming system. Heck I wish I had time to play the ones I already own!" They have a little girl. She's growing so fast. They sold their working TV to get her clothes and replaced it with a Rent-To-Own version of something better than what I have in my own living room.
Now, I know I can't judge because I don't have all the facts. But I feel like saying, "Hey! That's MY tax money you're spending! Sure you need recreation and enjoyment, but c'mon!" I actually slipped a little and said "Maybe I should claim disability." I'm crazy, I could do it.
It just doesn't seem fair that my husband has to get out there and bust his butt to pay for what we do have. And if we want more, then I have to give up my time with my son and find a job. In my perfect little world, the government would have programs that monitor the spending of those on assistance. If their spending is appropriate, i.e. going towards food, reasonable clothing, moderate entertainment expenditures and the like, then they are allowed more funds. But if the recipient is blowing their funds in an irresponsible way, they get cut off. Without working all the details out, it sounds great to me.
Maybe the next time they ask for a favor, I'll say something. I don't mean to be rude, but just to open their eyes. Sometimes people are so blind to what is really going on. Some people don't know any better. Some people don't want to put in the work and effort it takes to help them selves out. And then there are those that just don't care.
It sure has been heck financially here. Carl and I struggle. Many times I feel like just giving up and getting whatever the crap I want at the grocery store. But then that little voice, whether it be logic or the spirit, tells me that I won't learn anything from doing it the easy-for-now way and that developing frugal habits will pay off. Darn little voice. Darn learning makes you stronger. Darn trials that make you so much better of a person when you've worked through them. Darn life. Sometimes I'd like to claim ignorance. Too bad I know too much.
Please leave your thoughts/comments. I'd like to know what others think about this. Am I the only one who thinks there is something wrong? Is there something I'm missing? Enlighten me folks!
-


4 comments:
I support helping out those in need, but I agree with you that it should be monitored if the assistance isn't being used the way it was intended.
SOAP BOX TIME! (you are so going to get more than you asked for)
When a family is on WIC they have to go through classes periodically. I don't know how often, but I know that it's at least annually. These classes inform the families of how to properly care for children, and function in different roles in society.
That being said if the government is doling out money to ANYONE (disability, WIC, educational grants, mortgage crisis, etc.) I feel there should be a monitoring of how it is used. Not to say that the family in need should have to account for EVERY penny for the duration of the need... although maybe for a time it wouldn't be a bad idea.
I strongly feel that financial know how does not come naturally to everyone. For some people it does, for others it doesn't and sometimes those others take classes to educate themselves about finances. Unfortunately, I feel that the ladder is not a majority statement. If it were, the nation wouldn't be in a mortgage crisis state (among other things). If people could look at their finances and say, "Okay, I make 'x-amount' and my current monthly obligations are 'x-amount' then I can afford 'x-amount' in a mortgage payment. I'm going to base this mortgage payment on what I am CURRENTLY earning," things would be terribly different and the city of Draper (the rich houses on the hill) wouldn't have For Sale/Bank Owned signs dotting every other lawn. OKAY, that's off my chest.
HOWEVER! If this government all of the sudden implanted the idea of making people take classes for every grant they give out... well, let's face it, that takes money. Money that the government does not have (except to hand out to sometimes irresponsible people, as we have already discussed). My theory is this: Family receives money from gov't, Family (head of household) is required to attend classes on money management/debt management/you get where I'm going. Perhaps requiring a certification at then summation of said classes. Family (head of household) is required to attend these classes and will be charged a nominal fee (learning how to budget is not a bad idea in my mind). Basically, if you lose the money, you can't go to the classes, and you lose/bad consequence the granted money.
People aren't going to learn if they are continually handed money. People need to be taught!
Have you had enough? If not, I've got more where that came from...
I am a hard working girl! I get up everyday and go to work and pay my bills and try to make ends meet. And everyday on my way home from work, there is a "homeless" man standing on the side of the off ramp at the freeway asking for money. This bugs me. He is wasting all of his time standing on the side of the road when he should be out looking for a job like a "decent" human being would do. And for this reason, I will not give him my hard earned money.
Maybe this makes me a bad person, but there ARE jobs out there if you look! I do think that people take advantage of the system and I think it's sad! And I think it's sad that our tax money has to support that!
Agreed. It's hard having people like that around when there are people who are truly struggling. There are people, FAMILIES, who come looking for assistance with absolute shame in their eyes. Those are the people who deserve the help. I'm sorry Steph, that's got to be really hard to deal with. But at least you realize that you are where you are because you work so hard at being good with your money! Hoorah!
Post a Comment