Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Doctor Asked, "How does he eat?"

I answered, "Like a 2 year old."

And it's true! The other night we had BBQ pulled pork. Would he touch it? Nooooooooo.

This morning Daddy was getting some chips out to take for lunch. Brady wanted chips. I said "No chips for breakfast. We can have some at lunch."

We bought Daddy some more chips at the store. Daddy likes chips and they were on sale. Brady asked to have some chips. Again, I reminded him he could have some with his lunch. He talked and talked about those chips. Held onto the bag the whole ride home.

I got lunch prepared and sat him down at the table. We said our prayer and proceeded to eat. Brady asked "Where the chips?" Oh, I had forgotten all about them!! I retrieved them from the cupboard and placed some in a bowl to serve them from. See, I worry that if I put the whole bag out he'll consume the whole thing and nothing else. If a smaller amount is on the table, I can tell him they are all gone for that meal. It's more difficult for a toddler to grasp the concept of the food being "all gone" when he clearly see there are more in the bag.

We resume our meal with chips on the table. He digs into them, after he had dug into the peaches and picked out the olives from the pasta salad on the side. I'm thinking, "Hmm, maybe he really doesn't like BBQ pork. I thought he did. Oh well. He'll eat what he wants." Lo, and behold, he picks up his "sam-a-lich", assesses it, then takes a bite! And then another! He's only had 3 chips. I was sure he would fill himself up on those.

He ended up eating ALL of his one-slice-of-bread sandwich (except for the hunk that got flung to the floor), some of his pasta, all the peaches and a good portion of chips. Oh, and he drank some milk.

He had a decent meal! And he did it ALL BY HIMSELF. No prodding or pleading from me to have him take one bite of his green beans, or to PLEASE try your meat, or "you may have more chips if you eat more noodles." It is proof that when left to choose how much of what is provided to eat, a child WILL regulate his dietary needs ON HIS OWN. Amazing.

You want even more proof? When offered some left over birthday cake and ice cream, he said "No." What kid says no to cake and ice cream? I guess one that is satisfied in the belly and mentally knows that there will be cake and ice cream offered again in due time.

If you're having ANY angst over feeding your kids I very much suggest you read Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense by Ellyn Satter. Fore go the "One Bite" rule. Let your kids be in charge of what off the table they'd like to eat, and how much. These amazing little creatures know what they are doing because they have been created to know so. Let them have the satisfaction and sense of pride in feeding themselves. They will succeed, if YOU allow them.

2 comments:

Snell Family said...

I think at 2 it's hard to use the "at least try one bite" rule because they think you're being mean and it becomes a battle over wills, not food. Once Kaleb hit about 3 we always made him try one bite of something new and he was excited to try new things. Some things he ended up loving and some things he didn't and we don't force him to eat them again. But I think it's helped him like alot more foods than he otherwise wouldn't have tried.

I'm amazed still what new things he decides he likes. He never like mashed potatoes and shortly after turning 5 he started asking for them and loves having them. It just takes patience I guess.

Melanie said...

Just like certain sleeping techniques (or disciplining or teaching, etc.) work for some kids, certain eating techniques work (or don't work) for some kids.

In all honesty, we've tried that method and Leah has gone more than 24 hours eating NOTHING. And when I say nothing I mean nothing. No snacks, no little bite of something here or there - NOTHING! There are a lot of things I can do, but one thing I can't do is handle a toddler that is grumpy from hunger because I'm a mom that is grumpy because her toddler is grumpy.

To each 'his' own, right? I'm glad you've found something that works for you.