Saturday, June 6, 2009

Garden, take Two

Since last years garden didn't do so well, we did a little extra preparation this year. We found that you can't just till fertilizer into the ground, plant things, and then expect them to grow as you could in Utah. The dirt here is CLAY.

So this year we built a box for our garden. Bro. Charles in our Branch gave us the wood and arranged for the dirt to be delivered. Carl and I built the three square boxes ALL BY OUR SELVES!! After lining the bottom with newspaper (organic weed block. I'm so green...) we filled it with imported dirt from I don't know where. Pres. LaVetter (a.k.a. Uncle Dave) very much assisted us with the filling of the box.

We planted seeds a few weeks ago. They have already started to grow! Today we weeded the little weeds out and I thinned the green beans and cucumbers. I hope they survived. They look all sad and wilty. We have EIGHT tomato plants, also from Bro. Charles. We really only wanted 2 or 3.

Brady was happy to help Daddy in the garden this morning. He was using the hammer for uh......making sure the box was sturdy? Even Symion got in on the action.

What a good little bunch of helpers!


1 comment:

Lissette said...

Way to stay at it!