Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Visiting Teaching

One of the sisters I visit is an 79-year-old widow. She's got a lot of land and some horses. Well, during the ice storm we had our elders cleared her driveway and some other debris in her yard. We've been visiting her for like 6 months now. A few months ago my companion asked if the sister wanted to go to church. She hasn't been since I don't know when. She said she'd like to go, but she doesn't like to go alone and doesn't drive very well. I offered to give her a ride since her place is on the way. We've been picking her up mostly every Sunday.

The past Sunday she told us she's wanting to prepare to go the Temple, to do her OWN work. I didn't know she hadn't been! The last time she went was in Salt Lake City to be sealed to her living parents and siblings. Her husband's work has been done as far as possible. When she does go, she'll be able to be sealed to him.

I didn't even imagine that us visiting her and making it possible for her to go to church could bring that about! I'm am so honored to be a part of it. I didn't really think visiting teaching was very important before. I'd heard stories, but never had my own testimony of it. I can see now what it can do for people. I'm sure she's waited many many years to be sealed to her husband.

So I guess when I think "This is a pointless gabbing hour. I'm wasting my time." like I have been guilty of doing before, I can remember that it has made a change in the life of someone I know. I makes me feel happy.

1 comment:

Lissette said...

Thats great Aunt Steph!